The Paper Check-off Panel conducted research and concluded that public opinion and purchasing behavior can be positively influenced by factual messaging about the sustainability of our products and our industry. In July 2011, the panel developed and submitted a proposal for a paper and paper-based packaging check-off to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
U.S.D.A. published the proposed rule in the Federal Register in January 2013 for public comment. The comment period ended in early March.
The Paper Check-off Panel conducted a Call for Nominations in March and April of 2013, whereby covered companies submitted nominations for Board of Director positions.
- USDA to issue second proposed rule and notice
- Paper Check-off Panel will review and select Board nominees
- USDA to conduct referendum
- Final rule is then published in the Federal Register
- Paper Check-off Panel to submit 24 board nominees to USDA
- US. Secretary of Agriculture to appoint 12 Paper Check-off Board members